Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Is Peyton the Eighth Best Quarterback Ever?

I, as a Colts fan, have to argue the case for Peyton. He is football. Just like the article mentioned, Peyton=hurry-up offense. That style of offense was not heard of until Peyton made it happen. Peyton is a freak of nature in the way he does his job. He brings his team from behind; he has to be up there on the list in comeback wins. He throws passes in the tightest places and just does his job to perfection. He directs his players all over the field. I mean I remember the day when the Colts had the option to pick him or Ryan Leaf in the draft. Are you serious? Peyton deserves to be considered one of the top five best quarterbacks. I would have to say that Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, and Otto Graham are good picks at the number one, two, and three greatest quaterbacks, but after that I think its up for grabs and that's where Peyton belongs. I do not believe it is right to punish him or any good quarterback because of how many rings he has. Sure, Tom Brady has three rings, but that does not tell the whole story. Brady is in a system in New England. New England had a good defense in the years they won the Super Bowl. The Colts' defense was average at best when they won and have been many years since Peyton has been there. I believe a quarterback is great in the way he contributes to his team. He brought a struggling Colts squad from the slumps to a dynasty in the past 7 years if not more. He is definately one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play.

4 comments:

  1. How about Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, John Elway? Where would you put these guys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bart Starr was a beast considering he did win the first two Super Bowls, which he was named MVP in both. I would put him 9th in front of Fran Tarkenton. I know Fran was pretty good in the late 60s and mid 70s. I mean both of these guys were before my time but from my research I have stayed up-to-date. John Elway was pretty much a monster towards the end of his career. He did win it all twice so a lot of information to consider. If I had to rank my greatest quarterbacks it would go... 1.Joe Montana 2. Johnny Unitas 3. Otto Graham 4. Peyton Manning 5. Brett Farve 6. Roger Staubach 7. Dan Marino 8. Steve Young 9. Bart Starr 10. Fran Tarkenton 11. Terry Bradshaw 12. John Elway 13. Tom Brady and so on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting...you would put Bradshaw in front of Elway and Brady? Talk about a QB with quite the supporting cast...Swann, Stallworth, Harris, The Steel Curtain...???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right about the Steel Curtain. That was a monster defense and gave Bradshaw tons of help but I feel like he did his job that he was assigned, and I will be like Mr. Clayton and say that he had to have been doing something right to keep winning and getting to the big one but that's not always what its about. That's just how I feel.

    ReplyDelete